Student Health & Prevention Programs are health educators and school/community organizing professionals along with youth and school/community partners dedicated to improving the health and safety of youth, families, schools, and communities in Butte County through drug, alcohol, tobacco, and violence prevention and learning support services. Development of positive assets for youth, families, schools, and communities are essential.
Our objectives are to provide:
Alcohol and Drug Prevention Education
Tobacco Use Prevention Education, (TUPE)
Community Coalition support and development
Strategies for school safety and violence prevention
School Culture and Safety Development
Youth and Asset Development
Student Mental Health Services
Region 2 K-12 Student Mental Health Initiative:
The California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (CCSESA) is comprised of the 58 County Superintendents of Schools that provide leadership to the County Offices of Education (COE). CCSESA’s Regional K-12 Student Mental Health Initiative (SMHI) is based on a common statewide framework of prevention and early intervention strategies (PEI) for student mental health. This initiative is being funded by the California Mental Health Services Act (CalMHSA).
The Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) was passed in November 2004 as Proposition 63 on the California ballot. It is the intent of the MHSA to expand mental health care for children, youth, adults and seniors by establishing programs proven to be effective.Proposition 63 also provides prevention services to help people of all ages access care before a mental illness becomes disabling. The MHSA is funded by a 1% tax on taxable personal incomes that exceed $1 million. Since taking effect in January 1, 2005, the MHSA has generated $2.1 billion. Another $2.8 billion is anticipated over the next three years. Further information about MHSA can be found at Ca.Gov California Department of Mental Health.
School / Community Collaboration:
The student Health & Prevention Programs office provides facilitation services for community and school-based health and safety programs such as community-based coalitions that are linked to schools as advisory boards supporting strategic planning and program development related to effective research-based programs that support academic success.
Tobacco Use Prevention Programs (TUPE):
A CDE program, provided by Proposition 99 Tobacco Tax funding. Provides tobacco education, prevention, intervention, and cessation services in selected schools and communities countywide in grades 6-12. Training, professional development, curriculum materials, and countywide events also support schools in tobacco prevention efforts.
CDE grant funding supports the High School Tobacco Prevention Program to provide tobacco education, intervention, and cessation strategies for high school students attending high schools throughout the county and Middle School Grants to provide tobacco education and student involvement for students in middle schools. The program coordinates tobacco prevention management of services and resources.
TUPE provides training and technical assistance to districts for the implementation of the bi-annual California Healthy Kids Survey (measures for 7th, 9th and 11th graders regarding alcohol, drugs, tobacco, violence, youth development, and other health related measures). These same services are provided for TUPE district programs. New! Healthy Kids Survey Website: CHKS Query Youth Asset Development
Youth Asset Development:
The Student Health & Prevention Programs office provides leadership and support to countywide collaborative efforts among schools, agencies, organizations, and communities to promote student mental health and positive youth asset development. Activities include trainings in social/emotional learning support models and Youth Asset Development.
Bruce Baldwin - Program Manager
5 County Center Drive, Oroville, CA 95965
Phone: (530) 532-5842
Fax: (530) 532-5698
|Brain Science |
|Parent Information |
|Tobacco Cessation |
- California Smokers Helpline – Free help to quit, smoking or chewing. Free telephone counseling and materials, an essential aid for quitters!
- American Lung Association Freedom From Smoking Online – a great source for those who are thinking of quitting, access to FREE online modules and an online support group 24/7.
|Tobacco Prevention |
- Tobacco Free Kids – an excellent source of information on the dangers of tobacco, recent legislation and how the industry targets kids.
- TRUTH – the original and still the BEST! Learn the Truth about tobacco here, take your time with this one – it’s good! http://www.thetruth.com/
- California Youth Advocacy Network – THE place for California’s youth to get involved in the fight against Big Tobacco. Fight back here!
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Office of Smoking and Health – the Big Kahuna of tobacco control – if you can’t find a link or a fact here, it doesn’t exist!
|Youth Asset Development |
- Butte Youth Now, home of the Butte Youth Now Coalition, a local youth initiative empowering youth to fight underage drinking and to promote healthy living:
- Search Institute, creators of the framework of Developmental Assets in 1990, a leading approach to youth development. Learn more here: http://www.search-institute.org/developmental-assets
- The Campaign for Youth, The mission of the Campaign for Youth is to focus attention on the needs of young people who are out of work, out of school and out of the mainstream. http://www.campaignforyouth.org
- SparkAction's site and e-newsletters provide news and tools to make a difference in the lives of children and youth. They gather, synthesize and promote the best information on a range of child and youth issues from organizations and leaders across the country:
- America’s Promise Alliance claims to be the nation’s largest partnership dedicated to improving the lives of young people. Founded by Gen. Colin Powell their focus is improving academic and workforce readiness:
|Agency Contacts |