skip to main content

Prospective Teachers

If you have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree, but have completed the requirements listed below, you may apply for the Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit for Prospective Teachers. (Note that there are multiple fees associated with this process and for some individuals, more than one visit to this office may be required.)
(This is a paper application process)
  1. Create a Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) Educator Account
  2. Completed paper application form 41-4. The application form and instructions are available by clicking this link for Form 41-4.
    • You must use your legal name when completing this form and it must match the name on your Social Security card and government-issued photo ID.
    • Do not make any manual corrections to the application form. Applications with white-out, cross-outs, or other corrections will be denied.
    • If you answer “yes” to any of the Professional Fitness questions, you will need to provide an explanation on the Professional Fitness Explanation Form and provide the required court documents when instructed to do so.
  3. Application  fee of $100.00 payable to CTC (personal check or money order – no cash/credit/debit)
  4. Official transcripts showing completion of a minimum of 90-semester units of coursework from a regionally-accredited college or university
    • If a transcript shows units transferred from another institution, the letter verifying enrollment (see #4 below) must specify the number of units transferred that were accepted   toward completion of a bachelor’s degree.
  5. Verification of current enrollment in a regionally-accredited four-year California college or university. This may be verified by an original letter from the registrar of the office of admissions, or official transcripts showing current work-in-progress.
  6. Proof of having satisfied the Basic Skills Requirement as per the Basic Skills Requirement Leaflet 
  7. Fingerprint clearances through the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are required upon application for any credential, permit, or certificate, unless already on file at CTC. Individuals who have received fingerprint clearance through other employers or agencies (private, state, or government) are not exempt from this process:
    • If you currently hold a valid, unexpired CTC-issued credential, permit, or Certificate of Clearance, you will not need to re-fingerprint for the CTC. Note that an expired document can be accepted only if it has been expired less than 18 months.
    • If you do not hold any valid document with the CTC, you will need to apply online through your CTC Educator Account for a Certificate of Clearance. The cost is $52.50 and you will use a debit or credit card to pay this fee. This is a separate fee from the sub-permit application. Once you’ve applied online, make an appointment at either one of these Livescan fingerprint locations in Butte County or at BCOE to get fingerprinted for the Certificate of Clearance application. Take this 41-LS Form with you. Note that the Livescan Agency will collect a fee for this fingerprint process. Once you have been fingerprinted and issued a Certificate of Clearance, contact BCOE Credentials to schedule an appointment.
Important information about your educator account

Important information about your educator account

Prior to all appointments, you must create/update your Educator Account on the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) website.
***Your online Educator Account and Login/Password must be in place before your BCOE appointment***
Be sure that you can remember this login information (or write it down and keep it in a secure place) in order to access your Educator Account on your appointment day


The Emergency Substitute Teaching Permit for Prospective Teachers authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom in preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-12, inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults. The holder may serve as a substitute for no more than 30 days for any one teacher and not more than 90 days during the school year. In a special education classroom, the holder may serve for no more than 20 days for any one teacher during the school year.
The permit is valid for one year and may be renewed only once upon completion of 15-semester units of coursework from a regionally-accredited four-year California college taken since the issuance date of the previous permit.


Allow approximately half an hour for your appointment.
Individuals who arrive late or without all required materials will be rescheduled.
Please note: In addition to the fingerprint clearance required for the state (i.e., CTC), you will need to get your employment fingerprints done --regardless of whether you hold a valid, unexpired document with the CTC. Depending on which Butte County districts you are interested in substitute teaching for, this fingerprinting may be done at the time of your appointment with BCOE Credentials.