skip to main content

College Readiness

options in high school

options in high school

Concurrent Enrollment - Earn college credits while enrolled in high school. One 3-unit college course counts as 10 high school credits. Students can take up to 11 college units per semester in the fall and spring, plus 4 college units in the winter and 10 units in the summer. No tuition costs and does not affect Promise Scholarship eligibility.
Reg2Go - Unsure if you want to go to college? Seniors can sign up for Reg2Go and learn about what Butte College has to offer. The program includes meeting college representatives and early registration.

The State of California has created a website where you can
  • take interest inventories
  • research careers, colleges, and majors
  • complete financial aid and college applications
  • parents/guardians can create parent accounts that link to their student
Register your account and get started today! Contact your Transition Specialist for more information.
Financial aid application

Financial aid application

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - free online or paper application that all students must complete in order to be considered for financial aid.
California Dream Act Application (CADAA) - undocumented students complete the CADAA instead of a FAFSA to apply for financial aid.
  • Online or paper version available
  • Must be completed every year
  • Application window opens the October prior to the start of college
  • Applications can be submitted all year long, but earlier submissions are eligible for an award from a larger pool of aid (= more $$!)
  • Not all financial aid must be paid back
Chafee Grant - provides extra financial aid for current and former foster youth to attend college or vocational school. Youth must have been in the foster care system from 16 to 18 years of age and cannot be older than 26 years as of July 1st of the award year.
WebGrants 4 Students - Create an account here after completing the FAFSA/CADAA to monitor your account for a Cal Grant award or other financial aid, including Chafee Grants, if eligible.
Options after high school - College and job training programs

Options after high school - College and job training programs

Butte College - Earn a career technical certificate or an associate's degree and the first two years of tuition and fees are free with the Promise Scholarship. Learn More
CSU Chico - Chico State is a four year university offering high quality, affordable education.
Go to to research colleges and complete your application to the college or university of your choice.
College Corp - Students can complete 450 hours of community service in a year and earn a $7,000 living allowance stipend and a $3,000 education award. Butte College and Chico State are partner campuses participating in this program.
Butte County CTE - Career Technical Education (CTE) provides hands-on instruction to earn marketable employment certifications in high demand fields. Many programs are covered by financial aid; other forms of assistance also available. Must be 18 years old to apply.
Oroville Adult Education -  offers job training programs for students over the age of 18. AFWD and Dept of Rehab (for students with IEPs/504 Plans) may cover tuition.
  • EKG Technician Certification Program
  • Pharmacy Technician Program - High Demand Job!
  • Medical Billing & Coding Program
California Conservation Corps (CCC) - provides hands-on training for firefighting, energy, forestry, and more while conserving California's natural resources. This paid experience can lead to up to $8,000 in AmeriCorps scholarship money each year and some CCC locations are residential facilities where members live and eat onsite. Must be 18 years old to apply.